…stories of a Mobile Computing enthusiast.
- FCC releases final proposal to end net neutrality November 22, 2017The FCC has released the final draft of its proposal to destroy net neutrality. The order removes nearly every net neutrality rule on the books - internet providers will be free to experiment with fast and slow lanes, prioritize their own traffic, and block apps and services. There's really only one rule left here: that ISPs have to publicly disclose wh […]
- Replacing x86 firmware with Linux and Go November 22, 2017The Intel Management Engine (ME), which is a separate processor and operating system running outside of user control on most x86 systems, has long been of concern to users who are security and privacy conscious. Google and others have been working on ways to eliminate as much of that functionality as possible (while still being able to boot and run the syste […]
- Android collects locations when location services are disabled November 21, 2017Since the beginning of 2017, Android phones have been collecting the addresses of nearby cellular towers - even when location services are disabled - and sending that data back to Google. The result is that Google, the unit of Alphabet behind Android, has access to data about individuals' locations and their movements that go far beyond a reasonable con […]
- YouTube Targets Inappropriate Videos for Kids November 23, 2017YouTube has a new problem to solve, and this time it involves inappropriate or exploitative videos aimed at children. YouTube is taking steps to tackle the problem, and it’s starting by removing dozens of channels and thousands of videos from the site. However, there’s more work to be done. Since its earliest days YouTube has had to stop people uploading vid […]Dave Parrack
- 15 Awesome Star Wars Props You Can 3D Print November 23, 2017With a new episode of Star Wars around the corner, the force is strong within all of us. But man, the merchandise costs big bucks. Here’s a neat hack: you can download and print these 3D printable props for free! Of course, you’ll need access to a 3D printer for these. If you don’t have one, then head to your local hackerspace to make use of it. Otherwise, g […]Mihir Patkar
- Apple’s First Holiday Ad Gives Thanks for AirPods November 23, 2017It’s Thanksgiving. Which means a) you’re probably reading this in between mouthfuls of turkey and/pumpkin pie, b) as a Brit I’m jealous of Americans for getting an extra day off, and c) Apple has released its first TV commercial of the holiday season. The first of many, it has to be said. Apple has a reputation for producing great commercials. And deservedly […]Dave Parrack